Monday, September 13, 2010

Reflection 6th September - 12th September 2010

The past week for me was one that was primarily service based, however action and creativity did make an appearance. With school being cancelled on Friday, football was cancelled, and after the SGA disco from the previous Saturday, the SGA didn't have any major events. However the DAWG activity began, and the Recycling program went ahead this week so I had a lot of service done.

DAWG started on Tuesday and as a student leader I helped lead the group. We were mainly comprised of 6th and 7th graders, so keeping them focused and helping them come up with realistic ideas was tough, but I managed. As I mentioned in my previous reflection, we wanted to brainstorm new ways for the secondary to get motivated to support our food drive, so instead of having a pizza party, we decided to have a movie night, whereby the class that contributed the most food and supplies would get to choose the movie and come in for free. I'd like to think that this helped combine creativity and service as I was creative within a service program

During Recycling on Thursday, I collected Recyclable materials from classrooms and helped organize and transport them to the recycling center. I went along in the Recycling truck as we took the materials to the center and I saw what was done with all the recycling we collected and how we made money off of the paper and cardboard. What the school basically does is sell all our recycling to a man near school, and he makes a profit off the materials we give him. It was a pretty insightful experience

While SGA didn't have anything happen, as the president I did come up with the idea of organizing a video game tournament within two weeks time. The basic idea i got was to have all entrants pay an entrance fee and then the winner would get all the entry money as well as a small trophy. I initially wanted us to use an FPS (First Person Shooter) but all FPS' are rated M for Mature. I thought we could side-step this issue by having all entrants have their parents sign a permission form, but if we can't get an FPS approved, we may just play a sports game e.g. FIFA 10. If we get support from this event we may have more video game tournaments throughout the year to raise school spirit. I emailed the SGA's supervising teacher and she said my idea had potential so I hope the idea works. Another long term SGA goal I have is for a hallo ween dance for the end of October, and unlike the last dance I want to make sure this one is planned perfectly. Hopefully these ideas of mine will continue appearing in future reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment