Thursday, September 2, 2010

Goals for Grade 11

CAS is something every IB Diploma student has to take part in. CAS stand for Creativity, Action, Service, and it deals with extra-curricular activities and engaging students in multiple aspects of extra-curricular activities. This blog will help track my development through the CAS program and it will help me record my feelings and thoughts throughout the next two years. To keep me focused through CAS I've set some goals for Grade 11:

  •   Be the most engaged SGA President I can be. As the SGA President there are certain expectations I have to live up to, many of which center around my campaign promises and annual school events organised by the SGA. The SGA will help me connect with all three aspects of the CAS program. This goal connects with multiple learning outcomes of the CAS program as it increases my awareness of a strength of mine and it will help me develop that strength (I have always considered myself a capable leader while knowing that i can grow as a leader), help me undertake new challenges (being president is new to me), plan and initiate activities (one of the main responsibilities of the SGA president) and help me engage with issues of global importance (the proceeds from our first event are going to helping the victims of the 2010 floods in Pakistan).
  • Develop my football skills. I have already signed up for an after school activity that involves playing football. This will help me connect with the action part of CAS. In terms of critical learning outcomes, I will be able to develop existing skills, work collaboratively with others and show perseverance to an activity
  • Help DAWG branch out. As a student leader for DAWG (the Dog Awareness Welfare Group) I've noticed that there are ways that DAWG can improve, a prime example would be with our annual food drive. In years past I've noticed how the secondary school doesn't contribute nearly as much food for the dog pound as the primary school so I want to brainstorm with the rest of the members of DAWG to try something new. DAWG connects with the service part of CAS. DAWG will help me plan and initiate activities, work collaboratively with others, engage with the global issue of stray dogs and develop existing skills as I have previously been a leader in DAWG.
  • Paint sets for the Primary Musical. This connects with creativity and service. I have never been a great painter (ask the Visual Arts teacher) and so I wanted to paint sets to develop a new skill.  
  • Get my PADI Certification. The school will be offering a diving activity that will allow students to get their PADI certification and i joined. This will connect with the action part of CAS. The activity will help me develop new skills.   
  • Become more environmentally conscious. I plan on doing this in my role with the Recycling Activity offered at OSC. We help the school recycle most of its paper and plastics and this would help me be more environmentally conscious. I'd also like to help Recycling branch out into possibly help the school converse electricity. Recycling will mainly help me consider the ethical implications of my actions and engage with an issue of global importance.
These 5 goals are goals I will do my best to achieve and I also feel that they would help me grow as a person. I look forward to the coming year, and I plan on remembering these goals at all times. 

1 comment: