Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reflection - 12th August to 16th September

In terms of CAS there have been some interesting developments for me during the school year.

Starting with the school production, after beginning my time as Assistant Director I started to find the job quite pointless, which may be a bit extreme a description but still matches my feelings concerning the post. I had expected a job with a lot of work and responsibility and I had also expected all this work and responsibility to give me something to talk about in my TPPP but unfortunately my hopes were somewhat dashed away. What ended up happening over the two weeks that I was Assistant Director was that I show up at rehearsals, sit around for a while, read a missing character or two's lines, make photocopies if necessary and then leave. After the auditions I did not even get to voice a meaningful opinion considering casting and this irked me. What was the most bothersome was the fact that being the Assistant Director meant that a lot of my time was taken up by being at rehearsals but I wasn't doing anything Action or Creativity related, basically I was wasting a large amount of time. In the end I quit as Assistant Director and signed up as Dramaturg, a position that involves me researching Jewish customs, Tsarist Russia and the village of Anatevka for the play. The position may be a less of a time commitment and may have less responsibility on face value but the truth is that I will actually have more responsibility now and be doing more work for the play.

I talked to the leaders of DAWG and they seem to be doing alright without needing any help from me right now so nothing developed in terms of DAWG, fortunately however Cleft Palate is a different story. In the first meeting the leaders laid out their plans for a charity concert in the style of a battle of the bands to raise funds. The concert would involve multiple schools around Colombo and we wanted around 400 people attending on the night with around 8 different bands, maximum two from a school. This event has been planned as a professional one and I have a lot of different things to do for it from MC-ing with Camille on the night to making sure the auditorium is ready as well as finding sponsors that can offer prizes (we need around 10) that will be part of a raffle draw. During the short breaks between performances, the MC's are going to inform the attending audience about the issues surround cleft lip and what the Cleft Palate organization does. The concert  date has been planned for the 11th of November, 11/11/11: the symmetry looked nice. This event is going to be quite draining but hopefully it will be a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment